6 Things About An Array of Filipino Traditions You Should Know

Filipino traditions are an integral part of the culture of the Philippines and are deeply rooted in the country’s history. Rich in customs and practices, Filipino traditions have been passed down through generations and continue to influence the way of life in the Philippines today. From the fiestas to the traditional dances, the Filipino people have a wealth of traditions that have been integral to their culture for centuries. Here are 6 things about an array of Filipino traditions you should know.

1. Fiestas

Fiestas are an important part of the Filipino tradition. These fiestas, or festivals, are held to commemorate special occasions, such as patron saint’s days, local or national holidays, or other significant events. During these fiestas, the locals often dress up in their traditional costumes and celebrate with food, music, and dance.

2. Language

The national language of the Philippines is Filipino, which is based on the Tagalog language. However, many other languages are spoken throughout the country, such as Ilocano, Cebuano, and Hiligaynon. The country is also home to more than 180 dialects, which are still widely used by the locals.

3. Folk Dances

The folk dances of the Philippines are an important part of their traditional culture. These dances reflect the country’s history and the richness of its culture. These dances are usually performed during fiestas, where the locals dress up in their traditional costumes and perform to the beat of traditional music. Some of the most popular folk dances in the Philippines include Tinikling, Pandanggo sa Ilaw, Carinosa, and Sayaw sa Bangko.

4. Religion

The Philippines is a predominantly Christian country, with around 80% of the population belonging to the Catholic Church. Other religious groups, such as Muslims, Buddhists, and Hindus, make up the remaining 20%. Religion plays an important role in the daily life of the Filipino people, and religious festivals and celebrations are held throughout the year.

5. Cuisine

The Filipino cuisine is a blend of Spanish, Chinese, and Malay influences. It’s characterized by its use of various spices and seasonings, as well as its use of seafood, meat, and vegetables. Popular Filipino dishes include Adobo (a stew made with pork or chicken), Sinigang (a sour soup), and Lechon (roast pork). Rice is a staple in the Filipino diet, with many dishes being served with either white or brown rice.

6. Arts & Crafts

The Filipino people have a long history of creating beautiful art and crafts. From weaving to wood-carving, the Filipino people have developed a wide range of traditional crafts that are still practiced today. The country is also home to a variety of traditional festivals and celebrations where the locals showcase their crafts and art.

These are just some of the many Filipino traditions that you should know about. From the fiestas to the folk dances, and from the cuisine to the arts and crafts, the Filipino culture is rich and vibrant. By understanding these traditions, you can gain a better appreciation for the culture and the country.